Oct 8, 2010

Wanderings

I wonder how many garments this machine
sewed in the years it was used?
The patterns laying on the table were labeled Trousers.


This summer one of our family adventures was to an abandoned town.
Left amazingly in tact.
I was overwhelmed with strong urges to back
the truck up and start loading.
There were so many treasures.
Of course, I did not.

I was in awe by the sense of place.

As if one day everybody just decided to get up and leave.
Taking very little.
What struck me and really blew me over was the respect that has been shown by all of us strangers who have walked through their lives and
been blessed to peak back into a simpler time,
and left it there.

How many people made love on this bed,
took a sip of water during the night,
relieved themselves?

This was a hotel/boarding house for the workers in the area
The rooms were tiny and the walls were thin.
B said the wood slats were less than one half inch thick.
Apply cloth wall coverings to each side and that was it.
No insulation. I can't imagine the cold in the winter.
Imagine conversations and the eves dropping one could do.


I loved the feel of this kitchen.
I could imagine the hustle and bustle of busy meal times.
But wondered out here, out in the middle of the mountains where did they get there ingredients.
What did they cook?
I would imagine wild game was on the menu quite often.
Did they have huge gardens and preserve?
How often would they take the horses and mules into town to
re-ration?
That trip must of taken at least two days in and two days back.
At the very least!
It took us, on modern roads with our spiffy modern truck,
just over 2 hours to drive from the closest re-ration town to here.
Back in the day when this town was in full swing there were no roads! Only trails on which four legged animals moved what ever was needed or produced in the town.

Pffft, simpler times my ass.






Which brings us to these....
...why is it that OLD outhouses always have side by side seats?
Was it common to want to take a piss or a crap next to someone.
Makes no sense to me.
But a least the seats are pink(ish)!!




My boy wanted to go in all the tunnels.

Lots of conversations were had about safety, how things deteriorate and how to make wise choices in choosing whether to do something.
Or not.
So we compromised and came to the agreement that looking in the first few feet on some was okay.
He loved it!



Not a bad view from the couch


B and Miss I checking out a house


The kids were impressed at how close the mine shaft was to the house.
We figured it was the best way to protect the miners work and investment.



Stream Crossings, old tar paper, moss and summer shoes.



B checking out a tunnel that was started
but for some reason was abandoned



Every time we saw a new place we stopped
and got out and looked around.
Made up stories of who lived here.
Why they chose this remote area.
Why they left.

We had a great day!


Then we headed home.

Thankful for all of our modern amenities.
Especially the toilets!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Where are you? It's amazing. And how is it that people just up and leave -- you see it time after time. Why did they not take their sewing machine? Mysterious.

Eleanor said...

My grandfather's favourite saying was "The only real property is the property of the mind." This post reminded me of that.

Thanks for sharing the adventure with us SRM.

Soft Rock Mama said...

Welcome Readersguide! We are lucky to live in such a beautiful place.
Each time I visit an abandoned sight, I wonder about why they left.(more often than not the real question for me is, how/why did they end up here in the first place?!?) And why they left so much behind. Mysterious indeed.

Eleanor, I really like that saying!!
Thanks for stopping by.
Are you gathering all of your ski gear? The season is just about here!!